Thursday, February 6, 2014

Weschler - Up to page 75

As we go further through Mr. Wilson's Cabinet of Wonder, I am beginning to notice and appreciate the diversity of culture being given to us, the reader. He shows us the fruit pit carving, which--hello? Fruit pit carving? I appreciate the fact that he is highlighting anything and everything, primarily because I wouldn't be otherwise exposed to such things. Something else that stuck out to me while reading: the cylindrical display cases and the range of contents within. Everything from Disney characters to Christ himself. Then, Weschler gives us the creator of all of these display cases, Hagop Sandaldjian, of Soviet-Armenian roots, and this particularly stuck out to me, because, as my last name suggests (Keteyian), I, too, am Armenian. While I am a mere 1/4 Armenian (I think?), I still appreciate seeing familiar faces in life, literature or visual arts. The Narrator asks Wilson about Sandaldjian, to which he replies, "[He was] a very calm man," which obviously means that he wasn't a real Armenian, because I can't recall the last time I met a calm Armenian. Kidding, obviously, but Armenians are known for being quite high-strung and obsessive. Lastly, I appreciated how the Narrator is shown at his home (when he talks with the Cornell professor), because it is a rare/nice break from the Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment