Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Weschler - Pages 9-59 - Reading Response

Upon reading further, I was almost relieved that my initial thoughts were a bit too much of a "close read," and I was delighted that this is, instead, Weschler's account of cultural exhibits within a museum. Now, that said, the entire book up until page 68 is referred to as "Inhaling the Spore," and now I take that as the engagement with and immersion in all of these artistic displays -- cultures, if you will -- that he so meticulously describes for the reader. When Weschler says that Wilson was gone from his post for long amounts of time, and how he could be upstairs, downstairs, outside, checking this and that, it speaks to the enormity of this place, not necessarily the physical building, but the magnitude and diversity of the culture on display. His descriptions of people -- David, in particular stood out to me -- that are so descriptive, yet so very undescriptive. Weschler recounts his interactions with these people, thereby giving incredible insight that a mere blanket description would not and could not provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment