As we continue to be delve into the lives of the
residents of Annawadi like Asha and Sunil in this section, we’re still given
that very visceral first-hand recount that I mentioned was very defining of the
ethnographic writing style of Behind the
Beautiful Forevers. I also mentioned last time how this writing style
really helps to immerse the reader in the world of this Mumbai slum, but I’ve
come to realize as it continues on that this writing style also helps to get
the message of the culture of Annawadi across it without spelling it out for
you as well. It shows how people like Adbul, Asha, and Sunil are all these
quick-witted opportunistic people looking to simply keep their head above the
muck to just stay fed, clothed and dry (except for Asha, who seems a bit
greedier than most of the other slum dwellers). You learn through the blending
of the visceral language with the recounting of the character’s pasts, how it
affects their presents, such as in the case with Asha’s poor childhood setting
the stage for her current lifestyle in which she tries to attain as much power
as she can. It’s rather interesting how much is learned about the culture of
these people through the contextual aspects of Boo’s writing and accounts. It
flows and makes the writing rich and deep, and is definitely something I’ll try
to incorporate into my ethnographic study if I perhaps can when doing the
interview aspect of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment