Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Clifford


Clifford, much like Redfield, is indeed a wordy one. I struggled through this one as well, unable to keep of with Clifford’s topic changes. Overall, I have to wonder why this introduction was necessary, when it seemed not to clarify much of anything. I was confused by the many anthropologists he named, almost listing them out as if the reading should automatically be knowledgeable to the point of spouting off lists of ethnographers and anthropologists. I was most interested in his talk of the ethnography “arts” as well as the inclusion of the idea of feminism and it’s impact on writing and research. Clifford’s case for the literary side of anthropology was certainly the most interesting take away from the passage, and opportunity to consider art in a new light. He even goes above and beyond to say that anthropology is more than this, because it can “no longer be so easily compartmentalized”. I was also happy that he addressed the issue that feminist essays did not play a role in the collection; at least, in my opinion, if something impactful is not going to be included, it is important to explain why.

No comments:

Post a Comment