Sunday, February 16, 2014

Weschler 76-100

The story of Ruysch ‘s infatuation with skeletons and bodies was interesting and a bit creepy. While reading, I kept wondering where he was getting this supply of infant bodies and whose consent was given for him to preserve their child’s body. On an artistic level, the skeletons’ strangeness creates a very awry feeling when I think about it and view the picture on page eighty-six. I just see someone playing with death. This person’s ability to make this kind of art with corpses goes beyond taxidermy.
            The Fruit Stone Carvings were my favorite items on display in this section. It is incredible to see the specific designs carved into these pits. If the picture, in actual size, wasn't shown at the bottom of the page, I wouldn't have believed this. They are able to list the many animals that filled the back of the fruit stone. I can’t even imagine the time that was put into this or the patience needed to complete the task.

No comments:

Post a Comment