Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Boo -50

Again Boo continues with a sense of writing that puts you almost right into the action, and really gives you a sense of the thought processes and feelings of the slum-dwellers. She still is able to capture the goings-on through the lens of someone who is native to Annawadi as opposed to a reporter from the west, though I could possibly be thinking that since I too am from the west, so I wouldn't really notice western influence. I very much like how she captures the hope of the characters in her book, as opposed to focusing on how bad conditions are. She captures the culture of the slums very well, focusing mainly on the idea that everyone believes they have the chance to make it out. Boo also does a pretty good job of bringing the culture of India at large into the picture, calling attention to problems like xenophobia and corruption, things that help put the culture into perspective, as these are problems we Americans are all too familiar with. I think it's also a very positive thing, that works to the advantage of Boo to try and get us immersed in the story of Annawadi, that Boo switches from character to character. This allows us to bring each character into focus and get to know each better since you get the chance to perceive them through what seems like their own eyes and the eyes of those around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment