I honestly didn't think that anything
could top the laboriousness that was reading the excerpts from Redfield, but I don’t think I've ever disliked reading something as much as these 26 pages of
James Clifford. I don’t even really understand why Clifford had to go to the
effort of writing this essay, as he’s essentially just saying essentially what
Redfield said, yet somehow manages to come across as even more pandering and
overly wordy. The only saving grace from Clifford’s reading is probably that he
has an overabundance of secondary sources, name-dropping dozens of
anthropologists, ethnographers and their works that defend his claims on the
evolution of ethnographic study and writing. However, Clifford essentially
rephrases nearly everything Redfield said three decades earlier, just citing
more examples of how different cultures were analyzed, such as the indigenous
tribes of India, the modern day tribes of Native Americans, and the feminist take
on ethnographic study, but they’re only
examples. What Clifford had to say honestly could have been summed up in a
paragraph or two, by saying how and why ethnographic study has evolved to study
niche, smaller aspects of cultures that all amalgamate together to form larger
ones in order to see how the inner machinations of life come together. The only
reason he’s able to fill 28 pages worth of this explanation is by citing
examples and padding his writing with long, convoluted phrases filled with
large complex words. It sounds complicated, but I feel Clifford’s essay
essentially is him flexing his academic knowledge.
No comments:
Post a Comment