Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Redfield 1-24

In the beginning, it was harder for me to actually pay attention and keep interest. It was difficult for me to follow along, and it seemed like the more he explained the classification of the countries in relation with each other in culture, the more I didn't understand how he compared others. After reading some of the points repeatedly, I tried to draw my own conclusion and see if I could comprehend this in the best way I could. Redfield says, "Now cultures and communities of Latin America are grouped not only to the aboriginal culture areas but also according to their "level" or typical place in the whole civilization and the culture of the state and civilization of which they are components" (22). He classifies some by the Indians, town-type, and agriculture. This makes me wonder what are all of the types of classifications because many of these places share similar traits and components. What is the main focus when it comes to classifying these cultures when so many are related in their own ways and differ in others? There are many ways to interpret the shared links between these different cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment