Ah, Clifford. Where has this writer been all my life? Even from the introduction, I already like what I’m seeing. He opens with very honest, detailed descriptions of ethnography, explaining every detail, almost as he is seeing it—putting the reader in his POV at the time. I really enjoy this style of writing because it is wholly immersive—no room for boredom. On page 21, Clifford lets the reader know, “. . . this is not the time for that . . .,” discussing a further tangent. What I enjoy about this more than Redfield, for example, is that he is very honest with the reader. Even after merely an introduction, I feel as though I can trust Clifford, something I didn’t feel as much so with Redfield. I felt as though he was holding something back. At the end of this intro, I enjoy how he continues this aforementioned honesty with the readership by letting us know that he didn’t have all the answers when he was gathering this information in Santa Fe, and that only after he had written the book, or while he was writing the book, did he begin to find the answers. Besides the fact that I now have an enforced trust in him, I also feel as though I may make discoveries along side him during this book.
No comments:
Post a Comment