Monday, February 3, 2014

Weschler 9-59


I initially didn’t want to mention my first thoughts on Weschler’s writing since I’d addressed that in my last response, but once I read on, I very much wanted to comment on his decision to put the reader in the situation. I think that this is a very effective technique especially since the whole setting is the museum. Presenting the information in a similar way that had been presented to him, allow the readers to take in each new thing similar to how they would had they been welcomed into a museum. The main thing I wanted to address was the primary research in this portion of the text. I think the way Weschler describes his research is very admirable, having first gone to the museum, and then later collecting more information through other sources. Since I’m not accustomed to doing heavy research outside of the internet, I think going to multiple sources and people to learn more about what he'd been exposed to, proved to be the most effective way in reaching the truth. There was the experience of the museum itself, but it wasn’t until after getting one perspective of the place from the Wilson’s themselves, that Weschler uncovered other truths about the place. Tracking down the information through the libraries and systems, thinking he would find what he was looking for instantly, Weschler instead revealed the true nature of the museum, proving the effectiveness of his form of research.

No comments:

Post a Comment