Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Weschler 109
As I reached nearer and nearer to page 100 for the last reading, I became curious as to how the author could possibly bring all of this to a close. It seemed as if Weschler created such a sprawling description of the Museum of Jurassic Technology, but he had yet to make some kind of profound point to all of this. Sure, by now we've found all these examples of exhibits that have or haven't been debunked scientifically; but where does it all fit in to the big picture? I was wondering this to myself even into page 102, where I finally understood the connection between the folk sciences discussed in the Tell the Bees exhibit. It's easy to dismiss all of these exhibits as silly and trivial to the world of academia, but just as the folk remedies were discovered and embraced by pharmaceuticals. I thought describing this quintessentially Museum of Jurassic Technology exhibit was the perfect way to wrap up the book. The individual ideas and practices shown ranged from the funny to the terrifying, but it was all interesting enough to keep me invested in the idea of MJT,
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment