Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Delhi Reading #1


Darlrymple did a great job of avoiding his initial point of violence in his article “William Dalrymple Reflects on Delhi”. I loved learning of the culture in Delhi and imagining the clash of old versus new, and tried to imagine living in a place that mixes 600-year-old remains with brand new boutiques. He writes about his culture in admiration of his culture, and of his culture’s past, in an attempt to get people to view Delhi in a loving light, similar to his own views. However, I was disappointed that he didn’t talk more of the issues created by the mixture of poverty and wealth; why mention it at all if you’re not going to address it, or at least attempt a solution? I can appreciate the beauty and history that Delhi represents, but I believe this article should have addressed more than just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment