Well I have to accept this text at face value because the
backstory behind these exhibits might be false.
I do believe that the book Mr. Wilson and his Cabinet Full of Wonders is
just a journal or documentation of Weschler’s experiences in a museum of natural
history such as the Museum of Jurassic Technology. I realized that the dreamy first nine pages
are relative to the realistic body of the text.
It is quite interesting that Weschler’s pensive manner subtly exists in
the second portion. Museums are interesting
because they exhibit such bizarre things like a strand of hair with ‘May all
your dreams come true’ written on it. So
whimsical that the supposed educational institution seems like a Hollywood
movie. Which is ironic because Wilson
went to film school. Also, because
through Weschler’s secondary research the reader now knows that many of the
primary notions were false. If I were
Weschler I would have just visited the museum, observed the pieces, perhaps
made a few inferences then go to the library where there are credible
sources. Weschler’s journey seems very
long and aimless, for he focused on ‘word of the mouth’ instead of the written
word. Which can be okay, but various
parts of one’s memory are disconnected like a dream. It is pleasing that Weschler did not just
breeze through Wilson’s education at CalArts, but it seems like Weschler
confuses avant-garde art with natural history on occasion. In my perspective
they are two different worlds, or cultures.
No comments:
Post a Comment