Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Clifford - 26

      ‘Interdisciplinary consists of a new object that belongs to no one’ (Barthes, 8).  Thus, there is a difference between avant-garde and interdisciplinary.  
       Well if an anthropologist is not telling a lie, then is he or she omitting, which is slightly manipulative.  I wonder since anthropologists are manipulating are they using their writing as propaganda.  Speaking of anthropology as being artisanal, film is also artistic depending on its content and technique, but it is propaganda.  I must say that it seems like a lot of arenas are fighting to be called art.  Perhaps there is an art in everything that is technically poetic.  One might be doing something such as dancing but that does not mean that can be absolutely identified as that action; in other words, a dancer.  On occasion art seems to be something that does not give an invitation to everything that says it is art.  For example, not all paintings are ‘art’ or ‘high-art’.  From a contemporary perspective paintings do not even seem like art because they are so traditional, compared to new interdisciplinary and avant-garde genres like new media that are touring today.  ‘Ethnographic art’ may indeed be art, just a different style.  There are layers to things.  Most bodies are quite complex, so indeed things do intersect.  
        Reflexively an anthropologist is the manager and art dealer of the art gallery that I am associated with.  So through more research and discoveries I may better understand anthropology to form my own claim on anthropology.   

No comments:

Post a Comment