Sunday, February 9, 2014

Weschler -59

Once again, Weschler does a great job incorporating a sense of wonder into his writings. Though I will admit I was a little disappointed that he did not continue with writing about specific exhibits which I found very interesting, while instead focusing on David Wilson and the museum; although one could argue that David himself is an exhibit. I still find that Weschler keeps you wanting to read more and push further and further into the book and museum. Continuing with this overarching metaphor of inhaling spores it has become increasingly obvious that this museum and its owner are exactly that to Weschler. Almost obsessively he documents the hole in the wall, and researches the exhibits and stories laid out by Wilson. Though I don't blame him; the way in which Weschler documents everything seems to be contagious, as I feel equally compelled to fact check his fact checking, and look up the content of the exhibits. At this point however, the whole thing appears to be an enigma that will never be solved. The mystery surrounding the MJT is so potent that it is present in all of the reading, and calls you to read on, constantly questioning. Hell I may just have to save up and visit this place myself! Very few are the books that have the ability to elicit such a response from the reader, which in itself is wonderful, much like the content. I doubt it would be possible to talk about Weschler's work without using the word "wonder" excluding the fact that it is part of the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment