Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Weschler, pages 9-59


The author definitely introduces secondary research in this section of the book.  Because this book is, so far, basically a narrative of the author’s exploration or the museum, the research just seems like a natural part of the story.  However, the author actually has a “Notes” section in the back of the book, for which he references much of his research.  A lot of his research is also just talked about, such as how he goes to the library and calls specific people to verify some of the exhibits and little facts that Wilson has told him.  It was very interesting that the author did this secondary research, because many people just kind of see a museum and take for granted that everything in it is correct.  I guess that the exhibits and Mr. Wilson himself are just so farfetched that it would seem impossible to believe him.  Also, I find it very interesting that a lot of what Mr. Wilson says and a good amount of the exhibits are half-truths or even completely false.  I’m not sure yet if Mr. Wilson knows this, and I don’t think that the narrator is sure at this point in story either.  This museum seems to be the “Alice in Wonderland” of museums—it is very reminiscent of reality life, but it is just so distorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment