Dalrymple's thesis about the city of Delhi is that its culture is a mix of traditional patriarchal society and the society of a modern urban city. He briefly mentions that the conflict between those societies results in many of Delhi's problems; specifically, that tension between the ancient and the new resulted in a rape that occurred in 2013. I wish he had gone into more detail about what he meant; did he mean that those societies' conflicting views of women resulted in the rape? Rape occurs for many twisted reasons and I would like to know Dalrymple's argumen for this particular reason.
Some of Dalrymple's fwriting about Delhi reminded me of Chicago. This city also has conflicting societies. The north and south sides are very different in terms of peoples' class, status and income. Chicago is a rich tourist destination and has widespread poverty at the same time. I wonder if conflict between these sides results in tension similar to what Dalrymple describes in Delhi.
No comments:
Post a Comment