Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Redfield - Pages 1-24 - Reading Response

For me, writing in the style of Redfield is a good way to lose your readers. Weschler's work in Mr. Wilson's Cabinet of Wonder takes on the presence of a beautiful choir when compared to this stuff. Redfield's issue, in my opinion, is using endless descriptive jargon and details that can be found in academic journals, online studies, etc. When I pick up something like this, I am looking for personalized experiences of a genuine nature. I am looking for someone to describe events in a way that incorporates his or her own story. That is truly interesting for me, as the reader. In Weschler's work, we see his experiences, and even though he is a bit long-winded, he has some interesting things to say about cultural past. Yes, I understand that Redfield wants the reader to have a firm knowledge of anthropologic history and its evolution, but again, I wouldn't seek out a book like this for those answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment