The WEF reading was, although lengthy, much easier to
understand and finish than its predecessors. The section we read from had some
interesting information on processing field notes, from much of which I drew
connections to our own work and research. I identified with the idea of allowing
yourself to discover, and not assume. Having preconceived notions going into
research limits your view and restricts your finds. On the other hand, I felt
like some of the terms used overcomplicated the point the WEF is trying to
make. The ideas seem simple to me, somewhat of a refresher for things I’ve
already known or thought of, and the information is helpful, but the way they
are presented is unnecessary. Most of this could be condensed, and said much
more quickly and efficiently, and personally this would be a much easier way to
absorb what the WEF is saying. The use of coding in field notes and the questions
given as examples were things that I will take back and use in my own
ethnographic observations and research, but were simple enough that they could
have taken up maybe one or two pages of the WEF.
No comments:
Post a Comment