Wednesday, March 12, 2014
Boo -125
I didn't like this past reading for the same reason that I didn't like the last book of the Hunger Games. This was the last thing I wanted to happen to the main characters in this novel, no matter how realistic it is (especially since it is actually all real). That being said, the last 25 pages were much more fast paced and weren't filled with the amounts of color that I have become so used to while reading this book. I suspect this is due to the fact that while Abdul and his dad were in captivity it was probably difficult to reach them for updates on their life story. Also, a retelling may have not been detail filled either since Abdul would rather forget most of what happened, or Boo was being sympathetic and didn't want to push Abdul for the usual amount of detail. Still, Boo does a great job in exercising her vocabulary in such a way that you would never suspect her of ever using the same word twice, a trait of the author's that I have come to admire. Though I realize that the point of the book is to bring the story of the Mumbai slums to a greater audience and raise awareness, I would really like it if this next section would hurry along and Abdul would get out of jail already. The realness of the situation is very discomforting, and makes me rather anxious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment