Wednesday, March 12, 2014
Boo 100 - 125
The plot thickens. She's structured this in an incredibly interesting way, leaving very little to the imagination. A lot of credit goes to her, but could it be too much? I'll be honest, the details of events here are so seemingly perfect and intricate that my cynical side has begun to come out, and I'm a little skeptical as to how she can know so much, purely as a secondary source relaying this to us. For example, Abdul's car ride to the juvenile jail, we are described every aspect of scenery that he sees along the way. From a literary standpoint it's great, and it made me feel like I was in the car with him. But did Abdul really remember all of this and tell Boo? Or did Boo ride the distance herself, and just filled in the blanks with what she saw firsthand? From the beginning of this book, I've been thinking that Boo has been present for a lot of these events, but neglected to make an impact, or at least neglected to describe her impact. Now I'm forced to believe she only heard about all of this in retrospect. Much of the characters are described with the foreknowledge of their future experiences. Also, I started to think hypothetically about Boo's interference had she been there during the events of Abdul & Karam, Boo's efforts writing a book wouldn't be viewed as a positive thing when she could have financially contributed to Zehrunisa's cause during the Hussain's most desperate time. Regardless of some of these philosophical ethnographical questions, I continue to find this book captivating.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment