Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Boo 50-100



In this portion of Boo’s Behind the Beautiful Forevers I really enjoyed how in depth she went with the Manju’s character. What Boo generally does that I think is effective, is revealing aspects of other characters through their interactions and relationships with one specific character. By doing this, we are given many insights, or perspectives of one character. I found this especially prevalent with Manju’s character as she went into the interactions Manju had with Rahul (her brother), her mother, as well as others in Annawadi and her community (perhaps where she taught or where she studied). I think Boo is also very cleverly touching on the education system in India, including the differences in quality of education among the public and private schools.
I also found it funny to see the popular south Asian product: Fair and Lovely. There has been much debate over this product as it has been accused of promoting “racism” and the idea that lighter skin is more beautiful than darker skin. Having been in such an environment where this is a common idea amongst the members, its difficult to differentiate between racism or the other ideals behind this product. I think by touching over the product, and not discussing it in depth, is doing a great job of depicting the worth of the product and the outlook of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment