Friday, March 7, 2014

Boo 50-100 Response

I think I’d definitely say I enjoyed reading about Manju in the last chapter of section one. Out of Abdul, her mother Asha and Sunil, she is definitely the most forward thinking one out of seemingly everyone in Annawadi, and it almost was painful to hear how someone as bright as her is being constrained from going beyond the life she was handed simply because of her family. I think it gives perfect insight into the Indian mindset, or at least the Annawadi mindset, that family comes first and even though you strive for greatness yourself, you simply cannot put you before them. It makes a nice send-off into section two in which we learn the backstory and the afterwards of Abdul’s recount during the prologue, and as Boo stated in the prologue, I can see why she had to do a ridiculous amount of interviews for the primary sources when recalling when Fatima burned herself, considering just how visceral that scene is and how often the point-of-view shifts in just a short amount of time. The second section also shows just how contrasting the two mindsets in Annawadi are. If section one speaks on the behalf of familial trust and respect, section two delves into just how greedy those families can be when trying to work against one another, obviously some more than others. Fatima comes across as an exception though, that where Zehrunisa and Asha dislike each other, it never comes to a head, but Fatima actively attacks those she dislikes, and can obviously be seen by the fact she’d ruin a family by killing herself than simply let sleeping dogs lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment