Friday, March 7, 2014

WEF p 18-23

            According to Emerson, one way of beginning ethnographic notes is jotting down observations of everything you see at a site. This was my approach; I did not have a focus when I visited the Second City. As I observed my surroundings and jotted things down, I began to learn what aspects of the site I was most interested in. I found that I wanted to focus my ethnography on the culture of the main-stage theater. This will incorporate audience-performer relationships, workers’ thoughts on the theater, and audience members’ reasons for seeing Second City shows.
            I really like the concept of “coding” ethnographic notes. This seems like it will be very helpful in discovering patterns and themes. A challenge for me right now is definitely a lack of focus. The Second City is a massive organization. Even the main-stage theater, which I have chosen to focus on, has many aspects to write about, such as performers, staff and audience; these all have distinct cultures that are part of a larger overarching culture. Coding my notes will help me organize them and discover some of the core themes that exist in the culture of Second City. These are probably things I am aware of right now, but will become explicitly clear with coding.

            Emerson says that with open coding, categories will differ depending on the ethnographer analyzing the data. I wonder how my status as a comedy major will affect my coding compared to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment