Thursday, March 13, 2014

Boo 100-125 Response

In this episode we continue the drama of Abdul and his family as his mother attempts to find out who to bribe and how in order to free her son, daughter, and husband. With Fatima dead from an infection in the hospital, however, her husband and son were guaranteed a place in prison, and not just their unofficial holding cell. The monsoon hits and makes everything worse as Abdul’s brother is an inadequate sorter and negotiator. Abdul’s mother finally gets Abdul to be charged as a child rather than an adult via a bribe to the constable.

I imagine this is the dramatic element Boo needed in order to make the story seem more like a fiction and less like a semi-dramatic account of life in the slums. This family, who was on the up and up suddenly has every catastrophe hit them all at once, leaving them scrambling for solutions. I felt very tense while reading this and the last part, just because I knew how tense everyone else must have felt while it was going on. Every move they made seemed to be a wrong move and I felt for them, not empathetically of course, but sympathetically at least as someone who’s been put in some difficult to navigate situations. I don’t know the fate of Zehrunisa, but I can imagine she’s only a nudge away from a full on nervous breakdown. This section reads well I think mostly because now it’s explaining the aftermath of the Preface, and thus bringing it all full circle and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment