Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Boo | 100-125

Fatima’s hospital experience is an altogether disheartening and unsettling piece of the book. Boo does something interesting here that I don’t believe I have noticed up to this point: on page 100 when she mentions how the IV bag had a used syringe sticking out of it, and how the nurse says it would be a waste to replace it every time. I wonder if Fatima is aware that this is malpractice, or if this is one of the first interweaves of Boo’s knowledge into the characters that she is writing. If I’m not making sense, think about the fact that these people are given mediocre treatment, but also may not know the difference between what they receive and what someone of affluence receives, because they haven’t experienced it. But, Boo knows the difference, and she inserts that Fatima is being wronged into the tone of the writing.

In continuation with my point of sadness in response to this reading, and poor medical care, the doctor “adjusted” the medical record (Boo, 115), thereby ignoring fact to protect the hospital’s reputation. Beforehand they wanted to be paid for much more than was deserved, having no sensitivity for her burned condition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment