Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Boo 100-125

I can't really tell if this is Boo's opinion, since she separates herself from the book completely, but it seems that the author believes that culture isn't a changing thing. At least, this culture isn't.  As I have read through the book, I guess I was expecting to see a change in life in Annawadi.  Certainly, as the months have passed in the book, certain lives have changed quite a bit.  However, it seems that the culture remains the same in Annawadi. It is a dog-eat-dog world, and corruption is rampant, just like always.  Life seems to go on in the slum as it always does: people are poor, dirty, struggling, and others are taking advantage of them and hurting them.  I don't know if I expected to experience change in the culture, but I know I was certainly hoping for it.  At this point, the book seems less about the culture, and more about a handful of lives in this culture.  I guess this differs from my opinion, since I believe that cultures grow and change with the times.  Perhaps I just haven't given this book enough time yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment