Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Boo 50-100

Here we read about Manju and her relationship with the other people of Annawadi and the clash of her culture with that of those around her. Later more information is revealed about Abdul's family and Fatima's family. I like the style Boo uses, where she'll be describing the story but gets sidetracked every so often in order to give us more depth in the characters lives or in the politics and the way things work there in Annawadi. Some people might consider this inconsistent or unfocused, but I think it makes for a much more interesting story, and in the end it gives us more valuable insight into the personalities of these families, along with their histories with each other. As we've been led farther into the events described to us earlier in the prologue, I've found myself thoroughly enjoying this book, more than any non-fiction I've read in the past. Katherine Boo has been extremely immersed in the culture of the slums in her process of writing this, and I admire that she was able to build so much trust with the people there.

No comments:

Post a Comment