As I continue to read this book, I am having trouble believing that this is a true story. I know that Boo explains herself and her research in the author's notes, but the book is written so much like a story that it is hard to believe she didn't make it up. I dislike that most of her research is interviews. I know that she must have observed a good amount that she included into the book, but for her to know certain things that were added, it must have been relayed to her through word of mouth. For example, the whole time that Abdul and his father and sister were in jail and the police station, there was no way that she could have gone in there and seen what was going on, so someone had to relay the information to her. It also is hard to believe that these people would just let Boo into their personal, private lives. I can't believe that they didn't lie to her even a little bit. Unfortunately, this taints the facts. This whole book was written, hopefully as objective as possible, with bias just based upon the interviews that she took. I wouldn't want to do my research or interviews this way because it would be hard to tell what was the truth or not. As the reader, I really can't be certain.
No comments:
Post a Comment