Thursday, April 24, 2014

Boo to 199

When I first finished this section, I began to realize the sheer amount of death that is going on.  It feels like everyone we know is dying.  It is depressing to think about these characters that we have read about and gotten to know are only survived by a book that told about their difficult life.  It is almost like their death didn't matter, and, therefore, their life didn't matter.  As I thought about it more, I thought about how Boo only focuses on a handful of people in the slum.  There are so many more people that are unknown to us.  I'm sure that death happens all the time in the slum, so it just seems to be a part of life.  The people of Annawadi seems to have no real sorrow for the loss of a friend, neighbor, or even family member.  Meena, for example, kills herself, and no one except Manju seemed to care.  When members of Annawadi do care for a character who has died, such as Kalu, they either have to get over it and move on with their lives, or they kill themselves.  I guess this sort of explains how to survive in Annawadi.  You can't let tragedy get in the way of your life, or it could ruin it.

No comments:

Post a Comment