Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Response on the first nine pages of Weschler


I really am not quite sure how to react to the first nine pages of this book.  I just kind of jumped in to Mr. Wilson's Cabinet of Wonder without really doing any research about the book.  Needless to say, I was confused when I started reading about ants with fungus spores that made them go crazy, a singer that lost her memory, and other bizarre things.  It seemed as if I was walking through a museum of random exhibits and the tour guide was just spitting these factoids out at me—never going into great detail.  After some research, I learned that this book is really an account of things found at the Museum of Jurassic Technology, a museum that carries seemingly random exhibits and objects with questionable authenticity.  Initially I was very unsure of the point of us reading this book.  It is fun to read, but the random excerpts about seemingly useless information seems...well, useless.  I thought about it, and I came to the conclusion that maybe there is a point.  All of these weird descriptions of random things actually tie in together.  Each one builds off of another.  In class on Tuesday, we spoke about culture.  Watching other cultures and other people and doing something in reaction to what you witnessed, whether that is imitation or otherwise, creates a lot of what makes up a culture.  Perhaps the point of this book is to help us understand that cultures are really just reactions to other people and other cultures.  The little stories are proof of the little things that spark our own contributions to the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment