Upon first read, I became worried that I had picked up
the wrong book. Although interesting, the first nine pages seemed to be a load
of random facts and information. Multiple reviews provided more insight; the
thought process of the book follows ideas of inspiration, and why, according to
the author, certain events and ideas came into being. I believe the story of
the ant and the spores was an introduction to the following profiles, giving
background to the bits of information thrown around. In the way that the ant
contributes to the rest of the rainforest by producing more spores, the men
profiled also contributed to their society, sparking other contributions to add
on to their discoveries and theories, and so on. Matson’s writings provoked
Griffith’s expedition, Delani’s Korsakov’s syndrome pushed Sonnabend in
creating a new theory of memory, just as the dead ant’s spores causes more
spores to be produced, creating a continual process. As we focused on culture
in Tuesday’s class, I tried to tie this into the reading as well. The author’s
intention could possibly be to tie together the way different cultures
influence and interact with each other, and the way cultures create off of one
another. Cultures can thrive off of one another, as the examples in the book
thrived off of those before them.
No comments:
Post a Comment