The theme of the first small part of Mr. Wilson's Cabinet of Wonder is digression. Weschler digresses from one morbid topic to another. First with the ant, that in death, indirectly kills its family by inhaling a spore and exploding. Then on to a neurophysiologist, vocalist, and an unfortunate bat who all reach their demise at some point within the first nine pages. I am not particularly excited for the next section of this book if it is anything similar to the first nine pages. Could it not be more uninteresting to wait for a climax of sorts that may never come? After all the jumping around from topic to topic, one wonders if there is a main idea to this book at all. Or maybe the main idea is so cram as many facts about Charles Wilson's museum into one book without ever revealing that it is talking about a museum. Perhaps that is the most confusing part of it all; the never ending trail of information that seemingly has no beginning or end.
As I've never read a book of this manor before, I have no valid opinions of what I think of this style of writing. Nonfiction is not my strong suit with writing, and I'm not incredibly fond of reading it either, from the looks of this book. I've not written it off yet, though. I have hope for the progression of this book, but I am hard to please and I have high expectations from an honors English book.
No comments:
Post a Comment